- About Us
- The Library Board
- Nigeriana Repository
- News & Events
- Contact Us
Guidelines and Requirements for the Assignment of ISSN
The ISSN is an eight digit number that uniquely identifies serials globally
- Publishers requesting for ISSN must first verify their title(s) with the ISSN Centre before publishing in order to avoid duplication of titles.
- Request made by means other than Contacting our Head Office in Abuja or any of our State Branches/Web or with Contradicting Information may not be processed.
- Refusal or Revocation of an ISSN; If subsequently, it comes to light that misleading and contradictory information has been provided by the requestor is referred.
- All free/available titles will be reserved for a period of three (3) months, from the date it is officially declared.
- Publishers requesting for ISSN must also indicate the different medium/formats of their publication(s) so as to ensure each format is issued with an ISSN as appropriate, (e.g print/on-line continuing resources).
- In the case of on-line continuing resources, the URL page as well as the web page password must be supplied before an ISSN can be assigned to the serial. The name and address of the publisher must be displayed on the publication and a minimum of five (5) articles are considered appropriate for a publication
IF YOU ARE CIRCULATING IN PRINT, IT IS THE PRACTICE IN NIGERIA THAT PUBLISHERS PUBLISH THE FIRST EDITION OF THEIR SERIAL (maiden issue, i.e. vol.1 No.) AND FORWARD Either three (3) copies- if the publication is a private publication, ten (10) copies - State Govt. Publications, twenty five (25) copies- Federal Govt. Publication to the Nigerian ISSN Centre Abuja.
This is in line with the Legal Deposit provision of the National Library of Nigeria Decree No.29 of 1970. To enable the Nigerian National Centre collate the NECESSARY BIBLIOGRAPHIC DETAILS OF ALL SERIAL PUBLICATIONS BEING PUBLISHED IN NIGERIA.
- Also to be forwarded are:
- A typed application for ISSN on the letter head paper of the publishing firm, academic or other Government or non-governmental institutions.
- A photocopy of the certificate of the registration (in the case of private companies), obtained from the Cooperate Affairs Commission of Nigeria.
- the application must state clearly the scope of the serial publication
- the application must also state clearly the frequency of the serial publication
- the letter head must state the name and address of the publisher citing the actual location of the company/institution
- THE DIRECTOR,
- International Standards & Programmes Department,
- National Library of Nigeria Hqtrs. Office,
- Plot 274 Sanusi Dantata House, Central Business District,
- P.M.B. 1, Garki Abuja.